So it has finally happened. Nitish Kumar has ditched Lalloo and joined forces with BJP again. Whether or not that means formal NDA re-admission remains to be seen, especially outside of Bihar.
But is this good news? If one were to go by despondent articles & tweets by dynasty’s loyal media servants (aka secular, progressive liberals) it seems their chances of enjoying happy days of UPA loot when money & “investments” flowed like water, awards and gigs were for the asking are slimmer.
But we don’t agree it is all good news for BJP. Why? Before we get there, let us talk a bit more about the development itself:
No one believes his Lalloo/Tejaswi-corrupt-refuses-to-resign script. That has been known for years now. They did not turn corrupt yesterday. Interestingly all those journalists like Siddharth Varadarajan take special pains NOT to talk about the corruption at all as if that is blasphemy. No picture so palatial malls, mansions & petrol bunks.
The entire “liberal” media focus is, instead, on “scripted show”, “BJP gains”, “blow to secularism” and other topics all of which were emphasised to avoid discussing the elephant in the room – Shameless plunder and enrichment of self & family by LPY. Mind you, this is well beyond the usual fund raising for elections & enjoying free plane trips which everyone does.
It was as if corruption is a necessary price to pay for “secularism” whatever that means. And we all know the Stalinist left’s definition of “secularism” – rabid anti-Hindu venom, support for jihadi terrorism, Islamist fascism.
We even had this pathetic tweet by so called independent journalist Wagle which is what you would expect from a low level sycophant of the dynasty like Aiyar or Jha. As if only BJP created the problems listed & it was a land of milk and honey otherwise.
Now that @NitishKumar accepted BJP support, he should clear his stand about lunching, farmers, dalit atrocities, unemployment etc.
— nikhil wagle (@waglenikhil) July 26, 2017
No doubt this is a blow for Congress and Rahul Gandhi. And to the Marxists who were hoping for UPA3 to give them power without responsibility ala UPA1.
It is also a serious blow to Arvind Kejriwal – a man corrupt yellow media elites dropped like hot potato after hoisting him sky high with lots of hopes. Again they were licking palms in anticipation of his quick rise to power and Wapsi of awards and rewards to the “Idea of India” left brigade. Kejriwal’s bride aka anti-corruption plank hijacked twice – once by Modi and now by Nitish!
But let us come back to the main point of this article. Does this benefit BJP? The answer is not so clear. That’s why we say
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts
- Nitish is trying to embed and carve out his image of anti-corruption crusader. Not just in Bihar (where he doesn’t really need that, even in 2019 or 2020) but nation wide. That plus the anti-liquor goody goody image are his only USPs. The second one is actually a crowded field with too many anti-liquor contenders.
- This can come back to bite the BJP if he plays his self serving cards again like he did on 25th July. For example, he could pick a random case of “corruption” in NDA cabinet in the Center or in one of the states. And quit over it no matter if charge is fake or real, when he feels jumping back to Congress or Lalloo bandwagon makes more sense for him!
- What can the BJP do in that case? After all, they have also certified his anti-corruption image? Yes they can sacrifice that particular minister but that will only feed the fire, not quench it.
- He could also become another Shatrughan or Yashwanth Sinha – relentless headline seeking sniper from within. Modi cannot ask him to get out and have him play the anti-corruption + martyr card. The media would have a field day.
- Of course, Nitish Kumar’s credibility will fall even further should he ditch Modi & BJP once again on flimsy grounds. Or for that matter his credibility is so low & he is seen as a political chameleon by so many that his very endorsement of an issue may reduce it to a farce even if genuine! That is probably what Modi & Shah duo are hoping?
- BJP will probably have to kiss goodbye to winning Bihar on its own steam in 2020 and on top of that sacrifice LS seats in 2019. If the south does not make up for inevitable losses in the North (after all you cannot do better than 100%), then he becomes even more of a risk post 2019.
Can Nitish be a force for the good?
No doubt we have all turned cynics perhaps by the way politics works in India. But then there are possibilities of this alliance working for India’s and NDA’s good. How?
- Nitish can blunt the anti-Muslim edge of BJP and perhaps force some sort of mutual rapprochement. His counsel, both public and private could be valuable if only BJP seeks it out and follows them. This can only be good for the nation. After all, once Muslims (or substantial chunks of them) are convinced Modi / BJP are not the demons they are made out to be, especially if you vote for them, lots of other things will change for the better.
- He can also bring economic pragmatism and right of center reform credibility to the cabinet which is short of talent. Of course, he cannot join it himself but can pick good men to represent him and guide them if JD(U) were to join the Union cabinet.
- He can reduce BJPs paranoia over inevitable losses in the Hindi heartland and in that process moderate some of their more polarising tactics to entrench Hindu support. Again it can only be for the good of everyone.
Why did he do it?
Let us finally turn to the question we should have addressed first – why did he do it? Certainly the Tejaswi drama is a smokescreen. What gives?
IOHO, it is the realisation that the best he can hope for is to be another Gujral or Gowda in 2019. A pitiable existence no proud, sensible leader with self respect would want. And the more realistic prospect is loss in 2019 + 2020. And the worst case scenario of dynasty + Lalloo dumping him mid way so they can build more malls without any let or hindrance.