As Modi visits US to meet President Trump domestic media has been highlighting well known issues like the H1-B visa, Possible conflicts between “Make American Great Again” & “Make in India”, Paris accord etc. Expectations are lowered given the mercurial temperament of Trump and his past comments and policy decisions and the need for Modi to build a new relationship all over again.
Not much attention is being paid to one key agenda item – terror.
Terror may become a low hanging fruit, a good filler, convenient topic to discuss and forget other contentious issues, given the current global situation. Lofty press releases can be issued without much real work or progress and everyone feels good. So the temptation would be to spend too much time focusing on “terror”
That is where the danger lies! Why?
Because our terror problems are vastly different from USA’s.
- Even if you don’t agree with left loonies & their self flagellation anyone that has been following news over last 10,20 years should by now know this: West has paid for and purchased this current set of problems. Iraq, Libya, Iran, Syria, Afghanistan, the list is endless.
- Regime changes enforced with brutal violence, often bombing from high up in the air with guaranteed civilian casualties, overthrow of secular, liberal dictatorships, endorsement of rabid fanatics of Muslim Brotherhood type, arming and funding dangerous jihadis with 7th century world views have all contributed to the terror problem that European cities and communities are facing today. If mainland America is somewhat more immune it is because of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans – an accident of geography.
- We cannot also close our eyes to the grim reality of USA funding jihadi terrorist generals of Pakistan with cash and arms worth “billions and billions and billions”, to borrow Donald Trump’s language, much of it used to spread terror against India and ironically against America itself!
- Despite decades of being cuckolded, American policymakers refuse to wake up as proven by recent articles in media seeking surrender to Pakistani “interests” in Afghanistan. One never knows, Trump may prove to be no different given past track record of American Presidents from Reagan to Obama.
- We can be proud that India has more than 100 million Muslims and despite this we don’t really have a serious genuine Islamic terror problem other than those created by Pakistan and its jihadi generals. This is the real truth.
- Like almost every other Indian of all colors, sizes and shapes, yes, Muslims have grievances but barring a microscopic minority they have not used terror to get them solved. (We have some concerns and suggestions to Modi government on this front but that is topic for another day).
Given this background, spending too much time on terror (which almost exclusively has come to mean Islamist terror) in discussions with US President will do more harm than good. Because it will be about THEIR problem not OURS. It will simply serve to further American interests which keep shifting like flavours of Ben & Jerry even if there is no regime change in America itself. Simple example – is Qatar a terrorist state or an American base? Can it be both? Why are they sold armaments worth hundreds of billions?
The Americans will happy to sing song, hear us sing in perfect sync with their tunes on their terror problems but do zilch, zero to solve our problem which is Pakistan. That is one problem we have to solve ourselves.
Instead what we will get is lectures on human rights, democracy and what not. This, incidentally applies to Western Europe too.
Any discussion with Trump on terror should be private, low key, proportionate to its weight in the overall agenda and not talked about much in press conferences or public information releases. And the focus should be on OUR terror problem whose proximate cause is American funding of Wahhabi fanaticism in Pakistan.
West has enough money and muscle to solve their terror problem which, in case you missed it earlier, was caused by their own misadventures in Middle East and Africa.