Instead of running around in circles, raising expectations all around and wasting precious time, Modi sarkar should stick to the latest decision on Pakistan – no talks as long as terror is there.
Few facts are indisputable
- Pakistan has no interest in helping India deal with terror from its soil, even if you suspend credulity and believe that it is purely caused by non-state actors without any official patronage. The recent denial of Gurdaspur terrorist’s citizenship is clear proof, if any is needed.
- Pakistan has been fooling, lying to and killing Americans in Afghanistan even after taking $20-$30 billions of American money, despite overwhelming military superiority of Uncle. There is no way it is going to do anything different with India, a much weaker power threatened by its stolen nukes.
- Although it has been taking action against some terror groups, these have ALL been groups threatening the regime directly. Or threatening the west without any collateral benefits to the Pakistani military. It has done zilch against Afghan facing terrorists, and will do absolutely nothing against India specific terror groups. No amount of talks or surrender is going to change that. Pro Pakistan commentators in India making big noise over ‘change of heart’ should start reading the news.
So what should India do?
We are obviously not suggesting war. We dont have sufficient information to do so. What we do suggest is
- Just stop talking about talks. No point wasting time with six monthly gestures that lead to nothing.
- Beef up internal security. This will blunt effect of any terror attack, minimise casualties and reduce frequency of attacks. More than money, clever strategy and execution is the key. Crowd sourcing some of the steps can work wonders.
- Work on Pakistan’s friends and benefactors. Keep pointing out to them increasing cost of their rearing snakes.
- Focus on economy.
- Focus on covert options – Exploit internal fault lines of Pakistan in Balochistan and elsewhere.
- Don’t let media circus distract from above goals.
- Slowly build capacity in every respect.
- War proof economy as far as practicable, build civil defence capabilities.
If all this is done, India can pick and choose when to take the battle to Pakistan’s heartland. It will have to be done one day.